Get to Know 5 Types of Dies used in Sheet Metal Die Stamping
Covid-19 has changed the face of the manufacturing industry in the recent past. After a minor glitch in the manufacturing industry, the industries are ready to once again open up the market and keep up with the growing consumer demands. Industries such as automotive, aerospace, defense, electrical & electronics, industrial engineering, etc. are coming back on track after a short-haul. This is where the sheet metal die stamping industry comes into the picture. Sheet metal dies are widely used in the cold forming process. The die stamping presses are used to transform the sheet metal into different sizes and shapes.
Pieces of flat sheet metal, which is also referred to as the blanks, are fed into the sheet metal stamping press wherein there is a set of tool and die surface which helps give it the desired shape and form.
Types of Dies
For different purposes, mainly the following 5 types of diesare used:
- Progressive Die
- Transfer Die
- Combination Die
- Compound Die
- Multiple Die
Here we will take a look at 5 types of sheet metal dies and Their benefits –
#1. Progressive Dies
These sheet metal dies are designed to perform more than one cutting operation in one stroke. However, there are different stages that help to attain the final results. The punched out sheet progresses from one stage to another in a rather complex but precise manner to complete the punching operation. Usually, the blanking is designed to be the last operation of all the progressive dies.
Benefits of Progressive dies`
- The force required in every stroke is reduced due to using staggering the punches methodology or providing the shear.
- On the other hand, the operations are performed in different stages and so the combination of design and manufacturing of punch and die is much easier even if the number of operations is more.
- There are also certain drawbacks of using progressive dies in operations that do not necessarily require complex design, setup, and alignment precision, and also where not more than one operation is needed. So it is best to work with the manufacturer to get a clear understanding before opting for one option.
EXPLORE OUR METAL STAMPING SERVICES
#2. Transfer Dies
Transfer dies are similar to progressive dies but the main difference is that the blanking will usually be the first operation. As a result, the blank which is produced in the first stage will then be travelling from one stage to another to complete the process. The blank is manually or mechanically moved from one stage to the other.
Benefits of Transfer dies
- When compared to the progressive dies, the operations are more economical.
- Large parts can be handled with ease and these dies also add a lot of versatility to the stamping process.
#3. Combination Dies
When the sheet metal dies manufacturer combines forming and cutting operations and performs one stroke at one stage then this is called a combination die.
Benefits of Combination dies
- These dies provide both the forming and cutting operations at a time in the process. As a result, the production rate of the metal is much higher when compared to the other options.
- This helps the manufacturer be economic while producing large quantities of finished products for the clients.
- These dies are used in specific stamping projects where the two operations are performed on the sheet metal.
#4. Compound Dies
These dies are used when there is a need to perform more than one cutting operation in one stroke. With the help of these dies, there is a possibility to produce one component for one stroke and this also helps to keep the production rate high. The sheet metal dies used by the manufacturers usually vary from project to project, so it is best to get a clear picture on the advantages and the type of die being used to design your desired component.
Benefits of Compound dies
The force required for the compound dies is higher and is best opted for when the number of operations is less than 3.
#5. Multiple Dies
In all the above dies, there is a possibility to produce only one component per stroke. However, when there is a need to produce more than one component per stroke then the sheet metal dies manufacturer opts for multiple dies. The dies are kept in parallel and these are called as multiple dies.
Benefit of Multiple dies
- As there are multiple dies, it is possible to produce more components in a shorter period of time.
- This ensures that the cost is lower and still there is a high rate of production.
The above were some of the most commonly used sheet metal stamping dies that are used in the industry. Although the benefits are many, there are still certain drawbacks if the dies are not used for appropriate projects. It is crucial to rely on the manufacturers recommendation on the dies to be used. In order to get the best results, it is important to ensure that the manufacturer has good experience, reputation, and technology in sheet metal dies. There are many manufacturers that promise the best but there are only a few that have the capability and desire to deliver the best results at all times. A little research and spending time to understand this aspect clearly will help you attain the best results in your next sheet metal die stamping project.
EXPLORE OUR METAL STAMPING SERVICES
Eigen: Your Experienced Stamping Partner
Eigen is a reputed sheet metal die-stamping manufacturer for the last 15 years. The manufacturer serves industries such as aerospace, defense, automotive, industrial engineering, and the likes. Design tools, automation tools in manufacturing, and the latest stamping presses with experienced manpower help Eigen deliver the best stamping results at all times. All that you need to do is to get in touch with Eigen with your stamping requirements, and the efficient staff here will see through the project completion and delivery of the finest stamping products. With a global clientele and ISO certifications under their name, Eigen ensures that the standards of metal stamping are always maintained to the best in the industry.
Ujjwal handles crucial roles like AGM Marketing, researcher, and is an author for KDDL – Eigen. He currently works with Eigen for implementing proven techniques and strategies for marketing plans on online and offline platforms. An expert in efficiently executing SEO, SEM, email marketing, social media marketing, PR marketing, Print campaigns, etc. Ujjwal has coordinated an efficient marketing team on various creative campaigns and programmatic buying to support various digital cross-promotion efforts. Implement efficient search optimization strategies with the help of collateral material and metrics.
In his former years, Ujjwal has years of experience in a managerial role for several reputed companies. His years of experience combined with the flair of writing help him come up with result oriented strategies for Eigen.